There’s been some griping about The Chris Gethard Show’s new Random, Random Sandy, and I have a few things I have to say about it.
1. TCGS may be a show for outsiders but that doesn’t mean anybody gets excluded. Except jerks. Jerks get excluded. Random Sandy is not a jerk.
2. The show adapts. The show adapts to the guests, the show adapts to the audience, the show adapts to every misfortune and pitfall. But it’s still TCGS. The show will adapt to Random Sandy, but it won’t change. It’ll still be TCGS.
3. Most of the Randoms have been chosen by the audience and remain one of the most direct ways the audience’s influence is felt on an episode to episode basis. Random Sandy was chosen by the Chat Rats.
4. She might be doing her own thing. She might have been on Opie and Anthony and America’s Got Talent. She might be the Naked Cowgirl. The only qualifier for Random is that the cast and crew do not know you. I do not believe any member of TCGS knew Sandy prior to ten minutes before the episode. Every Random had a life before TCGS and during TCGS. Some may just be living that life more visibly than others.
5. You got a problem with a little more diversity on the panel?
Believe in chaos, believe in TCGS.